Shearith Israel’s post-B’nai Mitzvah class, MASA, which means “journey” in Hebrew, helps each student develop a personal relationship with the Jewish tradition through interactive learning, student-driven discussions, and timely, relevant topics. This year we will pilot a curriculum designed to understand how we develop ourselves as a Jewish community. With a focus on Atlanta, students will learn about the different denominations, agencies and organizations that contribute to the make-up of our vibrant Jewish community.
Classes will include sessions/discussions with Rabbi Kaiman, Nancy Gorod, or a guest speaker, and the group will enjoy a class trip in March 2018 to New York to visit such sites as the Lower East Side, Tenement Museum, Ellis Island, and the Museum of Jewish Heritage.
All classes will be held at 3:30pm on Sundays at Shearith Israel, unless otherwise noted.
2017- 2018 Schedule
- 8/27 1st day of class: Intro & Overview
- 9/17 Visit Jewish Family & Career Services in Dunwoody
- 9/24 Atlanta Community Tashlich @ Piedmont Park
- 10/8 MASA in the Sukkah (Learning & Chinese Dinner), 5:30pm
- 10/22 Denominations in Judaism
- 11/5 Trip to The Temple (drop-off and pick-up at The Temple)
- 11/12 Trip to Young Israel of Toco Hills (drop-off and pick-up at Young Israel)
- 12/3 Visit to USCJ Convention (downtown Atlanta; tentative)
- 12/10 Comparing our Denominations
- 1/21 Visit by Executive Director, American Jewish Committee
- 2/4 Visit to MACoM (Metro Atlanta Community Mikvah)
- 2/25 Visit to Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta (JFGA)
- 3/4 JFGA Allocations Activity @ Shearith Israel
- 3/23 – 3/25 NYC Trip
- 4/15 Visit by Director, The Marcus Foundation, Inc.
- 4/29 Shearith Israel Retreat @ Camp Ramah Darom
- 5/6 Closing Class
- 5/19 Tikkun Leil Shavuot (Night of Learning; location tbd)